We are proud to be part of Edmonton’s thriving, vibrant, and resilient arts community.
Citadel Response to COVID-19
Click here to read "A Message to Our Patrons"
a letter from Artistic Director Daryl Cloran and Executive Director Chantell Ghosh
Click here to read “Make it a Kind Place”
an open letter from Executive Director Chantell Ghosh
At this time, the Citadel Theatre is working constantly to find new ways to support artists and projects both in our building and in our community. The current closure will have a staggering impact on arts organizations across the province. If you are able, donations to the Citadel Community Investment Fund will go towards re-launching all of our postponed projects once we are on the other side of this incredibly difficult time.
Our Stuck-in-the-House Series is on our Facebook page every day, sharing a new fantastic performance from artists in our community!
To ensure the health and safety of our patrons, artists, staff, and volunteers, the Citadel Theatre is taking the following actions:
- Our summer production of ELVIS: The Musical, has been postponed until July 2021. While we’re disappointed to postpone the production, we look forward to sharing this fantastic musical with audiences in summer 2021.
- Our priority is bringing Citadel audiences our productions of The Garneau Block and Peter Pan Goes Wrong as soon as we are able to open our theatres again. As we get a better sense of when we may be able to open again, we’ll reach out to patrons to let them know the new performance dates.
- We are working to reschedule musical talents Audrey Ochoa & Friends and The Filharmonic for next season.
- The decision has been made to cancel the production of After the Fire. While we are disappointed not to be able to present this production, we look forward to sharing Punctuate! Theatre’s production of Bears by Matthew MacKenzie as part of our Highwire Series in January 2021.
- We have decided to cancel our 2020 COLLIDER Festival of new work. We will shift our attention to the 2021 COLLIDER Festival, planned for March 2021.
- Our final performances for the Foote Theatre School winter session, and our Spring Break Camps have been cancelled.
- Rapid Fire Theatre has also halted regularly scheduled performances until further notice.
Programming in our 2020/21 Season is subject to change. However, we guarantee that all booked tickets will be honoured at value, and encourage existing season ticket holders to renew for the season ahead!
We will honour all existing tickets for future performances once we are able to confirm dates and times. In the interest of protecting our team members we have reduced staffing and hours of operations in the Box Office. We will be bringing our staff back into the building as soon as it is safe to do so. This will be dependent on the recommendations of public health officials. At that time we will be able to transfer your tickets to new dates for postponed shows and give you options for other performances. If you would like to support the operating costs of the theatre by donating your tickets please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will issue a tax receipt when we are able. Thank you for your patience and understanding
We are beyond disappointed to say an early farewell to all of the brilliant artists affected, but stand by the Government of Alberta’s decision to protect the health and safety of our community.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Will The Garneau Block and Peter Pan Goes Wrong be back?
Yes! We are working with all of our producing partners, artists, and staff to make sure you're still able to experience these two excellent productions. Existing tickets will be automatically brought forward to the new equivalent performance, and ticket holders will be kept updated.
Are there any changes to the 2020/21 Season?
Yes. Our production of ELVIS: The Musical has been postponed until summer 2021. Ideally, the remainder of our 2020/21 Season will be as close as possible to our original plans, but other shows may need to be rescheduled depending on when we’re able to get back into the theatre. As changes take place, we will contact all ticketholders and season ticket package holders. Either way, you can be sure that we will continue to produce the world-class live theatre you've come to expect. If you've already booked tickets, they will be honoured.
Why renew now?
Great theatre needs you to make it possible. Your support - not just in your seat but also as we are planning - is vital to ensuring the return of world-class theatre to Edmonton. We are committed to bringing audiences the highest-quality theatre experiences possible, and we hope you will continue to be a part of the Citadel family and support live theatre in Edmonton.
What's happening with renewal deadlines?
Due to limited staffing and hours, and in keeping with physical distancing practices to keep our team safe, Season Ticket Renewals have been taking longer than usual to process. All renewal deadlines have been suspended. For 2019/20 Season Ticket Holders who have not yet renewed, your seats are still on hold an we will advise you when this changes to allow you the opportunity to protect your seats. We appreciate your patience and understanding as we work through a large volume of inquiries.
What is happening to Foote Theatre School classes?
We are currently running most of our Spring Term classes for kids, teens and adults online. We are scheduling more classes in the coming weeks and will announce those soon. To check out our free May workshops, click here! For any other inquiries, please contact Doug Mertz at email@example.com.
What is the Citadel Theatre doing to prepare for welcoming patrons in the post-Covid19 world?
We currently have a cross functional team evaluating how we need to alter our practices and theatre space to keep our team, artists and patrons safe while they enjoy amazing live theatre. We anticipate changes to both out physical space and the nature of our personal interactions to allow us to accommodate recommendations going forward.